Monday, April 26, 2010

The Known World

So as I mentioned, got lots of reading done recently. Not all were on the book club list but my favorite was - The Known World by Edward P Jones.

This is a fictional study of slavery in fictional (I think) Manchester County Virginia. As Jones tells various resident's stories he paints a very different picture of slavery than I am used to.

He talks about black slave owners, blacks who could pass for whites, families torn apart, and families (even mixed race families) created.

The slavery Jones talks about is both more brutal and more humane than past glimpses from history class, etc.

Don't know how historically true Jones' book is, but it makes for fascinating reading.

1 comment:

The Spirit of Maxine:The Taylor Family Blog Spot said...

Very perceptive review, and you know I was fascinated by the book also.

Jan