Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Remembering John Nelson, PLU coach


My friend and co-worker Michelle has a son on the football team at Pacific Lutheran University. She has been sharing stories frequently about how awesome it is to be a part of Lute football. Sounds like they really are concerned about inspiring the young men to be the best Christian adults they can be.

Nellie the movie is the story of John Nelson, a man afflicted with a bone fusing disability. Nellie suffered terribly in his life but the end of his life was spent joyfully, helping the PLU football team, and helping the young men on the football team learn important lessons as they helped him with everyday tasks.

Recently borrowed the movie from Michelle. I think what really hit home with me was that Nellie was one person who definitely knew God's plan for his life. He was there to help the football team, on the field, but more importantly to teach them about life off the field.

Very proud of niece Brit's cool school!



Here's a quote from the memorial service: “Nellie always said ‘I want to play football someday, and I’ll play when I get to heaven,’” Westering told the crowd. “I’ll close with one last thing. Nellie, you’re in the game.”

No comments: