Friday, September 11, 2009

Tony the pizza man

My friends Mary and Ron told me about Tony the cancer survivor whose picture is on several Community Transit buses. They told me that if I wanted the best pizza in the area to go to his place, #1 New York Pizza off Highway 9. They also warned me that New York native Tony would not allow pineapple on his pizzas!

Jim and I went there tonight and met Tony. What a character. He sat down and told us his story. Told us about "firing" a nurse during his hospital stay, Told us about his favorite doctor and showed us his tattoo "Thank you Dr. Costas".

Then we enjoyed some pineapple with Tony the correct way - soaked in Rum!

I probably haven't done justice to Tony's incredible fighting spirit. Put a link to the Providence Regional Cancer Partnership website story about him. He has also been in many local papers, most recently the Seattle Weekly.

No comments: